Ms. Smarty Pants Ms. Smarty Pants Facebook Instagram Pinterest About Me Shop Freebies Contact Image Map










Wednesday, November 14, 2012

Thanksgiving


Whew, I was blown away today when I realized my kids had little (to none) background knowledge about Thanksgiving! All of my lessons this week are planned around Thanksgiving, so we will be doing lots of learning this week! I had to backtrack my lessons, to help build some prior knowledge. WE]e spent today reading about and viewing a short clip on the First Thanksgiving. 
Tomorrow, I am going to have them generate some "wonderings" about the first Thanksgiving.
(I don't know how or why this got turned...sorry!) 
 At the end of the day, they will write what they have learned.  
By the end of the week, we should be on our way to write an informative paper about Thanksgiving. 

2 comments:

  1. You are absolutely kind to share to us this Informative Paper for our students to write...really like this idea...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know what you mean about lack of background knowledge...when I asked my students how the Native Americans factored in (why they were invited to the feast), I had all sorts of guesses, including that "they were family"!

    I love how read-alouds can teach them so many things! We read a cute one about mice that told the story, as well as Thank You, Sarah, which told about how she saved Thanksgiving. Hopefully, they'll now remember! :)

    Come stop by my blog - I've nominated you for an award! :)

    Chrissy
    Adventures In Second Grade

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...